Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What Training?

After learning about a variety of types of technology over the past few weeks and how it can be incorporated into an educational setting, it’s pretty safe to say technology isn't going anywhere any time soon. With that being said, there is a constant stream of technology flowing in and out of school districts that educators are expected to integrate into their daily lessons. What doesn't seem to be happening in many of these districts is proper training for staff members to help them understand how to best use the technology provided. How is this good practice and can these school districts really be titled “technology leaders” if the technology isn’t being used effectively.

This is a problem that has really stood out to me in the district that I teach in. We currently have three classrooms with 1-1 iPads, every other class has at least 5 iPads, 2 updated computer labs, 30 Google Chromebooks, and a smart board. We also have incorporated a large assortment of programs that we are required to use. Some of these programs include, NWEA Testing, STAR testing, Study Island, Accelerated Reader, and Dreambox.  The majority of these programs or devices were basically handed to the staff and left for them to figure out. Sure the tech department plays a role in setting these devices up, but there have been numerous times where issues seem to pop up and the people from the tech department are nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, I would say that 75% of the staff lacks the proper knowledge to be able to introduce some of these programs and devices into their classroom and have them be an effective part of their lessons. I believe Lacey mentioned in her blog
that many schools are now incorporating technology as a part of teacher evaluations. My question is simply how can school districts help prepare their teachers for using these devices and programs in an effective manner that will help benefit the students and district? How can we help educators be confident in the technology they are required to use?

Finally, I am a supporter of students using technology in the classroom and I agree that it is beneficial for students to be using it. However, I feel that a majority of the quality of student work is severely diminished. Especially, if the devices and programs are not being used as effectively as they should be. I sometimes think that the importance of the quality of work and what a student actually produces (not the internet) has been forgotten.



I thought that this article Issues with Integrating Technology in the Classroom really covered some key points to the problems of incorporating technology within classroom. 




Kelly, M. (n.d.). Issues with integrating technology in the classroom. In About Education. Retrieved November 18, 2014, from http://712educators.about.com/od/technologyandeducation/tp/Issues-With-Integrating-Technology-In-The-Classroom.htm






Even though this white stuff is really pretty...


 I'd rather go back to shades,

motocross, and beach days!

15 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I agree that there needs to be an improvement in teaching teachers how to use the technology available. That's actually one of the main reasons I am pursuing this degree...I want to be that person! I personally find it frustrating when I self-learn how to use an entire program, but then I am lacking a password or a product key or something out of my control to be able to make it work. I think we need more people available to help teachers...but I think those people also need to be trained! I think the stereotype of "Tech Guy" is "good at coding" (or something else super techy)...but is that really what we need as teachers? Sometimes, yes, but sometimes, we just need someone to find what resources are available, evaluate them to find the best/most practical ones, and then get them set up and going.
    In regard to a lower quality of work when using technology, what do you mean? Like, low quality projects are being produced, or the computer is doing all of the work for the student?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is also the reason I am pursuing this degree. I am currently the go to person for all things technology because the tech department is pretty unreliable in terms of getting things done in a timely manner or even correct the first time. With new testing coming our way schools will be needing that go to person to assist with proctoring the test and setting things up so time isn't wasted during the exam period.
      As far as the quality of work I think both of what you mentioned are an issue. I think teachers get so excited because their students created something using technology, but in reality if we pulled it off the computer and were to grade it as if it were on paper the quality would be low. I also think that sometimes the computer can take away students ability to use their own critical thinking skills.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I'm also pursuing this degree for the same reason! Small world huh?

      In every school I have worked with, from student teaching to my current position and everything in between, I have seen this same pattern. Encouraging (or even sometimes forcing) teachers to use technology and offering little or no support in terms of training or troubleshooting. Many times I have had to self-teach myself how to use a program or a resource that was required or "strongly suggested" by my school or district, spending many hours that a simple training could have spared me. I would love to be this person who helps other teachers not have to go through this!

      As far as the diminishing quality of student work, do you think that is because of time constraints? In other words, is it because we are spending our time not only teaching the content, but also teaching students (and ourselves) how to use the technology?

      Delete
    4. It's funny you all feel like you are the "go to person" for technology. That is EXACTLY how I feel in my district. Erin, you mentioned my blog in your post and how technology is being considered part of evaluations. These two problems seem to go hand in hand, especially when evaluation time comes around. I have teachers at my door at every break I get waiting to ask me a question on how to do something. It's great to feel needed, and I definitely feel like I have some job security, but where is it in my teacher's job description to be the one responsible for training staff on technology?

      The last thing I want to put out there is that teachers are meant to work together and collaborate. If I come up with 2-3 really cool ideas to use in my classroom, is collaboration me showing all the other staff members how to do it so they can get the same evaluation? .... That frustrates me daily, but will is change? Probably not.

      Delete
    5. I am also the "go to person" but sometimes I think it's because I am the youngest! This problem is happening everywhere. I suggest that you look into the TRIG grant for your school district. It is a lot of work but honestly I have seen a huge difference in my teachers. We went from being unable to use Google Docs to every student using them! This is the exact training that your teachers need.

      We have added the Tech piece to our evaluation and I know that my teachers are okay with it because we were a part of TRIG.

      Delete
  2. You and Kaylee both made a point that I couldn't agree with more, and that is teachers not being given the proper training for the technology we are given. A prime example occurred in my school district over the past three years. We received a grant that allowed us as a district to get a huge technology update. We are around one device per student now at my school along with new document readers and interactive projectors. The problem was we had the money so the technology department just stated buying random pieces of technology without any teacher input. I used to have an Elmo but now I use an Aver document camera. I loved the Elmo and not so much the Aver. I adapted and am fine with it but it would just be nice if the technology department took some teachers input when buying the new technology we have to use in the classroom. Another issue was when dealing with the interactive projector. To be honest it is just a projector to me. We didn't have a training session on this piece of technology until this year (two years later) and it was on everything I had already taught myself. it just seems like we are jumping ship from one piece of technology or web resource to another depending on the "insert this years bandwagon word here". We as a district have requested technology PD days where we will learn how to implement the technology we currently have, but so far this has not occurred. I don't mind teaching myself a thing or two but when it comes down to my job on the line I expect the district to at least set expectations that all teachers must abide by in order to get the rating that they do. #frustratedteacher

    I am curious does anyone know their school districts technology plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot agree more with what everyone is saying. The school I sub for really only has one teacher that is the go to guy for everything tech. But, he is a teacher too and I imagine he has his hands full already with his own classroom and his own technology problems. West Ottawa is currently infusing a large amount of technology into the district. But, do all the teachers know how to use it? For some reason, I do not think so. I think schools need more PD days to bring all teachers up to speed with technology. If they do not, then I also fear the student work will suffer due to lack of knowledge on the teachers part. By the way,I do not want to sound selfish, but this is one of the reasons why I chose this program. Even if I am not the go to guy for all things tech, I hope I am more marketable when they see this endorsement on my teaching certificate.

    Here is a link to the Tech article about West Ottawa

    http://www.hollandsentinel.com/article/20141117/NEWS/141119068/1994/NEWS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,

    I think the problem you have in your school district is the same problem many school districts are having. One of the schools I sub at (a major High school) is 1to1 iPads for all the students. And the teachers hate it! I have to eat in the lounge with them all and for 30 minutes, I have to listen to them complain about the iPads. None of them have ever given examples of how they use the iPads, but only complain about the iPads in general.

    So I guess my question is this...Do you think the reason administration doesn't provide proper instruction to the teachers is because they know there is no support from the teachers to learn the new technology? I know if I was an admin, and had teachers constantly complaining about technology in general, I would be hesitant to make them go to training. Have the teachers at your school took a unified front and approached the administration about getting training?

    Also, do you experience anything like I do when I go into teachers lounges to eat? Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly think it comes down to three things: budget, time, and lack of common sense. I think districts are quick to jump on whatever is trending at the moment because they will do whatever it takes to be at the top. In reality if not implemented correctly it has a better chance of weakening the district because the device/program being purchased hasn't been thought through or even tested to see how it would fit within the district. This ties in with time and budget. After spending a fortune on the new technology there is often little left to go toward training for proper implementation of that piece of technology. If there is money left over it seems like there is no time to provide the training necessary.
    As for the teachers lounge...I try to avoid it if possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin,

    like most people that have posted on here I agree that it's great that they are providing all of this amazing technology for classrooms, but what are we doing to help our teachers know HOW to use it? A lot of that is perspective because an instructor could think that they are using it as best as they can in the classroom but everyone else (parents, administration, students, etc) believes that the teacher is using it incorrectly. I think it would be great for teachers to actually understand how to properly use a lot of the materials they are given. Our district has also taken on the NWEA testing and we have spend quite a bit of PD time talking about how it is best to use this information. It's great when you understand it! But then you hear some of the others not really caring what the data or the testing materials are showing and how no idea how to use it.

    Because of the constant growth of educational technology (or just education itself) and how it is always on the continuous change to bigger and better things, I don't think that there will ever be a 100% great way to help everyone feel that they are using any piece of technology correctly. I think it is all in the eye of the instructor. It just kind of stinks that some of our evaluations are held to this. Tons of workshops are offered through the areas but it does make teachers put in the extra hours which many aren't willing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The debate on training is a huge issue going on in our school district. Last month we were talking about having a web presents in the classroom. The teachers said, to the board yes, we are open to technology in the classroom, but we need training. Our board office, refused to do training because they said, they trained us on technology in the past and it was not useful. Here is my argument, the training they gave the staff was back when the Smartboard was new. Smartboards are old technology they been around for a while. So it is not fair to judge us new teachers off the actions of those from the past. Many of those teachers retired or where not interested in learning about the technology anyway. If people are wanting to sign up and seem interested they should give them the training.
    I personally do not like to go to training because they show me things I already know. A few years ago, I went to a training for college, and I learned for four hours how to turn on a computer. This maybe too hard to do, but they should have training to the teachers’ ability. For example, I know how to use Weebly, therefore, I do not need to be trained on how to use Weebly. My partners on the other hand have no clue how to turn on the computer, so they would benefit from the four hour training of turning on a computer.
    NWEA testing is a good example of waste of training. I went to a day and ½ training, and I can not run that test to save my life. I do not know how to assign test, print reports and cancel students’ test. Instead of the training, we did ice breakers and the trainer just ran through everything so fast as if we knew what we were doing. When it was NWEA test seasons me being the youngest teacher, naturally every teacher over tenure came running for me to help them. As you said how can I be the leader when I have questions too, and I am just making things up as I go along?

    I understand budget, and the ghost of training past, but technology is not going away. We need to train people about what is going on with technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. While I understand how administration can think that the training isn’t valid because of previous experiences, I cannot believe that they would not respond to a valid training recommendation that addressed their false perceptions. First, there should be some pre-testing or self-evaluation survey for staff so that that administration has a better grasp of what needs to be trained. Then, they should create a training schedule that follows what they need. The argument by some of the administration that previous trainings were a waste is valid, they were wasted, but it was not because of the training itself but rather because it was the wrong training for staff who did not see the value of the training. Plus, it had the wrong approach from management. This reminds me of telling an adult that they can’t learn how to use the stove because they tried to tell their children/roommate/spouse/employee how to use the stove and they wouldn’t do it because they were afraid of it, so therefore illogically they won’t teach any other adult to use the stove.

      Delete
  8. Great post Erin! It goes in-line with many of my other comments throughout these blogging exercises in which I've stated that it's incredibly unfair and unproductive to put the burden of technology-integration on the teachers themselves. It's a ridiculous practice that can only be discouraged when education leaders really buy-in to the actual benefits of technology-integration. If school leadership truly recognized the benefits of integrating tech into the classroom, they would make certain that there was full-time staff whose sole job function would be "technology integration". The communities and districts that are investing in tech-teams for their staff, are the ones who will reap the greatest benefit.

    The other day, I saw a job posted somewhere that said "Instructor/Instructional Designer" and I was very intrigued by this description, so I clicked on it. The job description was essentially trying to combine two job-functions into one role! An instructor and a full-fledged instructional designer. That's exactly what is happening to teachers when they are tasked with integrating technology into their classrooms without the proper support and resources.

    ReplyDelete